Code Talker

Author: Joseph Bruchac

Themes: Coming of Age, Adventure, Family/Tradition

Genre: Historical Fiction

Recommended Age for Reading:  The reading level for this book is a 6.5, but the content is appropriate for students in lower grade levels.  For some of the gifted readers, students in grades 4-6 may enjoy this book.  There is some violence since the premise of the story is World War 2, but it isn't anything that isn't appropriate for students in the elementary grades.





Plot:   This book tells the story of a young Navajo boy who begins his life on a Navajo reservation.  He speaks only Navajo until the age of 6 when he begins school.  His school is ran by white people who are trying to "educate" the Navajo.  Speaking Navajo is forbidden at this school because the white people think there is no purpose for Navajo boys and girls to keep their language.  The boy has a Navajo name, but when he starts school, the white people change his name to "Ned Begay."  Ned proves to be very successful in school, and learns to speak English.  However, he doesn't forget his original Navajo language.  When Pearl Harbor is attacked, Ned learns that young Navajo men are needed to help with the war efforts.  Ned eventually joins the Marines and helps develop a Navajo code that is used in the fight against the Japanese.


Review:  I am currently using this book in a literature circle for some of my stronger readers in my 6th grade class.  I highly recommend this book for middle school boys who have an interest in war history.  Many of my males students are very interested in World War 2, so they were very excited to read this book.  Since the book follows the main character through several of the South Pacific battles, the amount is action is immense.  It's sometimes difficult for me to find books that boys enjoy, but there's been no problem getting the boys in my class to read this book.  They've looked forward to reading everyday, and when I have to move on to another activity, they grumble and complain.  Personally, I liked the book, but I always like a bit of a romance twist.  You're not going to find that in this book, because of that, it's not in my top favorites.  If this book were made into a movie, it wouldn't be a chick flick, which is what I usually enjoy.  However; I did enjoy reading this book and getting a better understanding of the Pacific part of World War 2 and the Navajo side of the story.  I plan on using this book again next year and in the years to come.

Rating: 4/5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Hate you Give

Serafina Series and Willa of the Wood

High Achiever